Sweet Potato, Spinach and Chickpea Curry
Recipe author: Emily Turnbull
Pre Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 45 minutes
1 red onion, finely chopped
2cm chunk of ginger, finely chopped
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 red chilli, deseeded and finely chopped
1 tablespoon of coconut or sunflower oil
2 teaspoons of turmeric
2 teaspoons of ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander or 1 tablespoon fresh coriander stalks
½ teaspoon of salt
(Optional: 1 cinnamon stick and 1 teaspoon of black mustard seeds)
¾ tin of chickpeas
¾ tin of coconut milk
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
2 sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 2cm cubes
3 large handfuls of spinach
(Optional: ½ cup of frozen peas)
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add dry spices and the salt to the hot oil and fry gently for 1-2 minutes, stirring regularly to ensure they don’t burn.
- Add the onion, ginger, garlic, chilli and coriander stalks (if using) and fry for 2-3 minutes until the onion starts to soften.
- Add a couple of grinds of black pepper and then add the sweet potatoes and chickpeas and cook for a minute or two add the coconut milk and the tinned tomatoes. Stir everything together and then bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to a simmer and cook covered for 15 minutes. Stir and remove the lid then cook uncovered for 10-15 minutes until the sweet potato is soft.
- In the final 5 minutes of cooking, add the frozen peas (if using) and spinach.
- Serve on its own or with quinoa or brown rice, topped with some fresh coriander leaves and a wedge of lime.
Recipe provided by energisewithemily.com