Shepherd's Pie (with a twist!)
363kcals, 13g fat per portion
500g (1 large) potato, peeled and diced
5g (1 teaspoon) butter or margarine
30ml (2 tablespoons) reduced fat milk
400g lean minced lamb
240g (4 medium) carrots, peeled and finely diced
120g (2 small) onions, peeled and finely diced
400g (large tin or fresh, chopped) tomatoes
20g (1 tablespoon) tomato puree
150g (2 handfuls) peas (fresh or frozen)
20g (small stick)
Cheddar cheese, finely grated
A little vegetable oil
- Pre-heat the oven to 190 °C /gas mark 5
- Boil the potatoes and when soft, mash with butter/ margarine and milk. (Reserve the cooking water)
- Fry the onions with a little vegetable oil in a non-stick pan until soft and transparent in colour then add the mince and carrots continue to stir-fry until the mince is lightly browned.
- Add the tomatoes, tomato puree and peas, stir and cook on the hob over a slow heat for about 30-40 minutes, adding a little potato water from time to time if the mixture starts to look a little dry.
- Pour the lamb mixture into an oven-proof dish, top with mashed potato and finally the cheddar cheese
- Cook in the oven for about 25 minutes until the dish is piping hot and the top is golden brown.